Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!”
As the lyrics from the opening number from “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” (1966) attests, everyone loves a comedy. On Saturday, June 26th, join MGM HD in a celebration of the lighter side of life with a Classic Comedies Marathon. Along with “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum,” we’ll feature favorite films to fascinate your funny bone from the MGM vault including, “A Hole in the Head” (1959), “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” (1963), “What’s New Pussycat?” (1965), “After the Fox” (1966), and “The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming” (1966). Test your knowledge of these classic comedies with our quiz:
(SEE ANSWERS BELOW)
1. The prolific songwriting team of composer Burt Bacharach and lyricist Hal David wrote the theme songs for which two films? (One of which went to #3 on the US charts)
A. “A Hole in the Head,” & “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”
B. “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” & “The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming”
C. “What’s New Pussycat?” & “After the Fox”
2. “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” director Stanley Kramer’s first choice to play character Smiler Grogan, ultimately portrayed by comedian Jimmy Durante, was this classic screen comedian:
A. Buster Keaton
B. Groucho Marx
C. Bob Hope
3. True or false: Carl Reiner, star of “The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!” also wrote the screenplay.
4. Peter Sellers, who stars in both “After the Fox” and “What’s New Pussycat?” was also well known for playing Inspector Clouseau in the “Pink Panther” movies. Which other actor featured in our marathon also played the bumbling Frenchman on film?
A. Carl Reiner
B. Peter O’Toole
C. Alan Arkin
5. In the large cast of “It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,” what comedian made their feature film debut?
A. Dick Shawn
B. Jonathan Winters
C. Phil Silvers
6. True or false, actress Britt Eklund who played Peter Seller’s sister in “After the Fox” was actually his wife in real life.
7. The phrase “What’s New Pussycat?” came from the way the actor who was originally set to play the film’s lead answered his phone. The title remained after the actor dropped out. Who was the actor?
A. Warren Beatty
B. Robert Wagner
C. George Hamilton
8. The hit song “High Hopes,” debuted in the movie “A Hole in the Head.” Frank Sinatra would later put the tune to use in support of what presidential candidate?
A. Ronald Reagan
B. Richard Nixon
C. John F. Kennedy
9. Which of Frank Sinatra’s co-stars in “A Hole in the Head” would later become famous as Morticia Addams on the sitcom “The Addams Family”?
A. Eleanor Parker
B. Carolyn Jones
C. Joi Lansing
10. True or false: “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” was actually filmed on location in Roman ruins?
Be sure to watch our Classic Comedy Marathon, Saturday, June 26th beginning at 12pm eastern, 9am pacific on MGM HD
Answers: 1 – C: “What’s New Pussycat?” & “After the Fox” 2 – A: Buster Keaton, who cameoed elsewhere in the film instead, 3 – False, the screenplay was written by William Rose, based on the book “The Off-Islanders” by Nathaniel Benchley. 4 – C: Alan Arkin in “Inspector Clouseau” (1968), 5 – B: Jonathan Winters, 6 True: Britt Eklund and Sellers were married in 1964, 7 – A: Warren Beatty, 8 – C: John F. Kennedy, 9 – B: Carolyn Jones, 10– True